Arsenal 2 v Wolves 0

There were no further mis-haps after last week-end’s four goal lead surrender at Newcastle, and with Barcelona now firmly on the horizon, that could not have afforded to have been the case either. Two goals from Robin Van Persie, one in either half ensured the Gunners would go into their Champions League clash in good heart against a side that will pose many more questions than did the West Midlands’ side at the Emirates.


Arsenal were quickly into their stride and should have been a goal to the good as early as the third minute. Fresh from his successful England start against Denmark Jack Wilshere showed poised and determination to dance his way through a Wolves defence. By the time he had his heels clipped, Cesc Fabregas had struck the ball into the net, but referee Chris Foy awarded a free-kick for the foul and disallowed the goal. It was a bizarre decision, but one that would set the tone for the official who would go on to have a very poor game.


It mattered little as a strong Alex Song set up Van Persie who drilled over the bar. With sixteen minutes on the clock, Arsenal took the lead. Fabregas crossed and with his low powerful right footed volley, Van Persie fired in his xx goal of the season. Wolves had come to north London on the back of their 2-1 win over Manchester United and although they tried to play their way, the Arsenal rearguard with Johan Djourou in particular holding firm. The Swiss defender is proving to be a rock at the heart of the Arsenal defence and his presence and intelligence was to give him a man of the match winning performance. He almost netted for the second consecutive time, but saw his header flicked over the bar by Wayne Hennessey.


The tide of red continued to surge forward. Andrey Arshavin for the most past of the season has had his attitude questioned, but the Russian was fizzing all afternoon. He was at the heart of some neat intricate Arsenal moves. Arshavin raced onto Wilshere’s 40 year pass to find Theo Walcott, but Hennessey struck out a hand for a fine save and Cesc Fabregas’s follow up was blocked on the line. Just before the break, Song popped up on the left wing and fed Arshavin, but again Hennessey found the save.


Within a minute of the re-start, the Gunners should have doubled their tally. Arshavin found Fabregas who fed Wilshere. The Gunners 19 squared for Walcott but with Hennessey out of position, Walcott fired wide. Frustrated with their game Ronald Zubar stuck out his studs on Van Persie’s left knee. The challenge was poor and warranted a red card, but Zubar feigned injury himself and the referee took no further action.


Wolves started to press, but as their move broke down, Fabregas spotted Walcott for him to race onto the ball. Van Persie was up with the play and took Walcott’s pass to fire home a well taken goal. Arsenal continued to dominate with Wolves only having a shot in either half to speak of. A third goal beckoned and should have arrived a minute before the end. Djourou cleared up from defence, and found Walcott. Substitute Marouanne Chamakh exchanged quick passes with Walcott to work the opening and as he left his marker, Hennessey stretched to make the save but Arsenal secured a comfortable three points. Now, bring on Barca!