Arsenal 3 Burnley 0
( Sanchez 70, 90, Chambers 72 )

Alexis Sanchez! What a player! What an absolute dream of a player he has become in the very short time since his summer arrival at Arsenal. Most overseas players take time to adjust to their physically challenging Premier League surroundings, but in Sanchez’s case, he has very much hit the ground running. It was the Chile striker who struck after a stubborn Burnley had frustrated wave after wave of Gunners’ attacks. After 70 minutes, all 5 feet and 7 inches of Sanchez leapt above the Burnley defence to head in the opener. Two minutes later and Calum Chambers doubled the Gunners’ lead with his first senior goal. Deep into time added on and Sanchez deservedly grabbed a second goal to round off another perfect performance from this dream of a player to net his 10th goal in just 16 games for the Gunners. Arsene Wenger saluted his £30 million summer signing.

He said,
“The header he scored, It’s more the result of determination and desire than doing something special technically. He has the attributes of a fighter and of a quality, talent player. That’s what you want to see in every football player.

” Since he’s played through the middle he looks more goal dangerous. Now it looks to me that he’s really dangerous through the centre of the pitch because he’s in full confidence, he’s physically strong, he likes to take people on as well and he makes perfect runs. Through the centre of the pitch maybe he’s more dangerous.”

The match also saw Theo Walcott come off the bench after 80 minutes, and with the game already won at that stage, Wenger was pleased to see Walcott showing flashes of the brilliance which the Gunners’ faithful last saw in January. The England striker could easily have gotten on the score sheet soon after his introduction but in spite of the scoreline Burnley ‘ keeper Tom Heaton was having one of his better games and saved once again.

Danny Welbeck had the first sighter on Burnley’s goal, working an opening with Sanchez, and with Heaton beaten, saw his shot blocked by Kieran Trippier after 13 minutes. Arsenal pressed and controlled at will and should’ve been awarded a penalty when George Boyd handled from Santi Cazorla’s corner, but the offence wasn’t spotted by the officials.

Cazorla then went close after Sanchez caused more havoc in the Clarets rearguard. He found Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and the England man set up a volley for Cazorla which flew inches wide.

Sanchez was enjoying his football and wanted to make things happen. He chased down the ball and let fly with a shot which Heaton couldn’t handle. The ball fell for Oxlade-Chamberlain who set up Cazorla, but unusually the Spain midfielder couldn’t make clean contact at the crucial time. Like all the players in red and white, Sanchez and Cazorla buzzed and fizzed but the half ended goalless.

Burnley’s change of tact at the restart saw them want to take the game to the Gunners, but Wojciech Szczesny was still almost a spectator. Oxlade-Chamberlain saw a powerful shot just wide of Heaton’s upright, and Burnley had Duff to thank for his block as Cazorla threatened from six yards out, following on from some good work from Chambers.

With 70 minutes on the clock, Arsenal got the opener that had been long overdue. Chambers raced away and crossed for Sanchez, who having escaped the attentions of his defensive markers, Trippier and Shackell, rose to head past Heaton. Two minutes later and Arsenal doubled their lead. The Clarets failed to clear a corner and Welbeck powered a shot which was blocked on the line, only for Chambers to follow up with his first Arsenal goal.

Walcott and fellow substitute Lukas Podolski went close to increasing the lead, the German crashing his effort onto Heaton’s post. Sanchez did get the Gunners’ third of the afternoon, after Kieran Gibbs cross was despatched by the alert Chile striker. The win meant that Arsenal had recorded back to back Premier League wins and clean sheets for the first time this season.

Wenger had warned about being complacent against Burnley, who despite being the only side in the top four English divisions yet to win a game, came close to giving his side some early cause for concern.

” We had a strong team pressure and we had to intensify that in the second half, which we did. Slowly you could see that the chances were coming and at the end of the day, it became easy when it was 2-0. They did very hard and we did make mistakes at the back. Overall I think it was a very satisfying win. Recently at home we haven’t got the results we wanted but for the confidence of the team it’s also important to win without conceding a goal,” said Wenger.

Arsenal next face Anderlecht in their Champions League Group D return leg at the Emirates stadium on Tuesday, and they travel to Swansea for their next taste of Premier League action next Sunday.