Liverpool 3 Arsenal 3
( Firmino 10, 19 Allen 90 Ramsey 14, Giroud 25, 55 )

Arsenal were pegged back in the last minute of an action packed game against Liverpool at Anfield, when both sides seemed intent on throwing respective defensive caution to the wind. The Gunners recovered from a goal down when Aaron Ramsey struck to level Robert Firmino’s opener. The Reds then re-took the lead with a spectacular second from Fimino, only for Giroud to level for the visitors. Arsenal then went ahead for the first time in the match when Giroud struck his second on a dramatic night and Arsenal then looked to have sealed all three points. With almost their last foray however, substitute Joe Allen netted from ten yards to grab a last gasp leveller and leave honours even. The Gunners remain on top of the Premier League and level on 43 points with Leicester City who beat Spurs 1-0 at White Hart Lane.

Despite getting what could prove to be a crucial away point and in very difficult conditions, Arsene Wenger was left reflecting on how his side were denied all three points in the final minute of the game.

Wenger said, ” The frustration comes from the fact that I think at 3-2 we had three situations where we should have made it 4-2 and we made a bad decision and that is for me the frustration tonight and that of course the fact that we concede a goal in the last minute but that can happen in England but overall it was a game played with two teams who gave absolutely everything and we have shown again great character tonight. We come back with a point and if you look at the results of the night it shows you that everywhere it is very even and very difficult for everybody.”

Arsenal made five changes from their FA Cup 3rd round win over Sunderland with Per Mertersacker, Nacho Monreal, Mathieu Ramsey and Aaron Ramsey and Mesut Özil all returning.

Liverpool made a lively start and from a corner Arsenal failed to clear the danger, as Theo Walcott was caught trying to play out from deep in his own half. Emre Can regained possession and struck a shot which Petr Cech could only parry, and there was Firmino to drill home the opener after ten minutes.

Now it was Liverpool who failed to clear their lines. Joel Campbell played in Ramsey and his low shot beat Simon Mignolet at the near post for a 1-1 scoreline and barely fifteen minutes on the clock. The Reds began to string their passes together in midfield. Campbell’s inadvertent deflection led to the ball getting to the path of Firmino. Having already scored his first Anfield goal, the Brazilian curled a spectacular effort beyond Cech to give his side the lead again.

Attack continued to be the best form of defence and Arsenal could have drawn level through Ramsey. His looping effort brilliantly beat Mignolet but Mamadou Sakho cleared off his line for a comer. Ramsey took the corner and Giroud got the faintest of touches to beat Mignolet to level for the Gunners.

Arsenal began to turn in the style. Campbell’s reverse pass found Walcott. His cross caused confusion in the Liverpool ranks. With Mignolet nowhere, an unmarked Giroud was unable to guide the ball into an open goal with the ball seeming to come off his heel.

Firmino responded for the Reds with a smart turn and shot which clipped to top of Cech’s bar. It was all breathtaking stuff.

Arsenal started the second half in more of a determined mood. The confidence and passing game had returned and soon the Gunners were ahead. Hector Bellerin’s burst of pace took him wide. He played in Campbell and the Costa Rican played in Giroud, via a deflection. The France striker performed a near Johan Cruyff turn to spectacularly fire past Mignolet left footed and from 15 yards out.

As weather conditions continued to deteriorate at Anfield, it was Liverpool’s turn to search for a leveller. Mertersacker cleared away from Jordan Ibe’s cross. Arsenal were now content to sit back and invite Liverpool to play. The ploy almost worked until substitute Christian Benteke cushioned a header which fellow substitute Allen struck a volley from close in. Cech got a palm to the ball but was beaten for a third time and the game finished with an entertaining 3-3 scoreline.