Arsenal 1 Tottenham Hotspur 1
Wimmer og 43, Kane pen 51

The first North London derby of the season finished all square at the Emirates stadium with Arsenal and Tottenham Hotpsur having to settle for a point apiece. Kevin Wimmer’s first half own goal gave the Gunners the lead two minutes before the break. Harry Kane levelled from the penalty spot six minutes after the re start, the spot kick awarded after Laurent Koscielny was harshly judged to have impeded Moussa Dembele. Arsenal were strangely subdued in the final third and a series of mis-timed tackles and mis-timed passes from both sides sapped the creative instincts of Arsene Wenger’s side. The draw suits neither side in the grand scheme of all things Premier League, yet try as they might, neither side was able to find that clinical edge for the winner. The Gunners will rue the chance to not have retaken the Premier League top spot, but with this latest draw, the visitors keep their unbeaten record with yet another draw.

The energy and passion amongst the crowd before and during the game were a contrast to the almost hush tones at the final whistle. 1-0 up at the break courtesy of Wimmer’s own goal and the Arsenal faithful would have wanted their side to push on. One thing you do not do soon after the break is to concede but that is precisely what happened when Koscielny was harshly adjudged to have impeded Dembele. A penalty was awarded and Kane struck in to level.

Facing three at the back – that seems to be the flavour of the season thus far, the Gunners front line were denied time and space, especially when Danny Rose and Kyle Walker advanced. Nacho Monreal and Hector Bellerin were up to the task, but often found themselves outnumbered without real consistent defensive cover in front of them.

After four minutes, Son Heung-Min outpaced Shkodran Mustafi, his cross eluded all and the danger was cleared. Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Özil have been key players to the Gunners’ good fortunes, but they were consistently being hounded by a Spurs side for whom Victor Wanyama was playing close to the rule book, and lucky not to have been shown a yellow card at least for niggly infringements which went unpunished.

Arsenal just couldn’t settle. Wimmer clattered into Francis Coquelin and he did get a yellow card for his troubles. Midway though the half, Christian Eriksen saw his cross, latched onto by Kane for a diving header which went wide of Cech’s upright.

It was close to the half hour mark, when Arsenal threatened the Spurs’ goal, Coquelin saw his goal bound volley blocked by a wall of white shirts.

Some neat build up play saw Alexis sky a shot in a move which started with his tenacity to win possession out on the left. Arsenal needed more of the same and Alexis was happy to oblige. Again on the left, Alexis’ hustled to win possession and pulled back from the left to find Mesut Özil. The German’s first time effort was just wide of Hugo Lloris’ upright.

Arsenal should really have taken the lead after 32 minutes. Alexis, and Özil combined, and as Bellerin raced away on the right, he was ignored. The ball was fed to Iwobi who although made good contact, didn’t get enough power behind the shot as Lloris gathered.

Six minutes before the break, Granit Xhaka’s cross found Walcott. The England man let fly with a venomous drive only to see it rattle the Spurs goal frame as Lloris looked on helplessly. Özil’s follow up flew wide of the target.

There minutes before the break and Coquelin won a free kick 35years out. Özil swung in a dangerous cross and Wimmer rose to clear, but instead headed past his own keeper for the game’s opener. The goal produced a wall of noise from the Arsenal faithful and near silence in a corner of the away end. The visitors were aggrieved. Xhaka and Coquelin however were on hand to ensure Walcott had back up as matters became a bit feisty just before the break.

Spurs re-started in determined mood and as Son charged through, Bellerin raced over from right back to slide tackle and clear the danger. The Spurs momentum was building, however their leveller came in somewhat fortuitous circumstances. Dembele was adjudged to have impeded by Koscielny, and referee Mark Clattenburg pointed straight to the penalty spot. Up stepped Kane to hit down the middle for 1-1 with Cech diving to his left.

The Gunners pressed to retake the lead. Xhaka is yet to score at the Emirates, and as he surged forward, the crowd urged him to shoot. The Switzerland midfielder duly obliged, but fired over with his left footed effort.

The visitors then went close to a second after Arsenal failed to clear their lines, however Cech dived down sharply to deny Eriksen after 55 minutes. The Gunners then allowed Rose to cross, but Kane was denied at far post as Koscielny bore down.

Just past the hour mark, and after a neat passage of play, Iwobi crossed for an unmarked Xhaka to time his run, and all alone. However he failed to connect with a header with only Lloris to beat. On such fine margins do games turn.

Wenger replaced Coquelin with Aaron Ramsey for his first taste of Premier League football since the opening day of the season. Xhaka would now sit deeper with Ramsey licensed to support the attack.

With 20 minutes remaining. Koscielny was shown a yellow card as he swept to win possession back from Kane. Replays suggested however that he got the ball.

Arsenal were going for the win as Iwobi made way for Giroud and Walcott for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Özil went close but Lloris dived at his feet to block the ball for a corner, from which Ramsey fired just over the target.

Oxlade-Chamberlain’s pace was causing some belated concern in the Spurs defensive ranks, as Bellerin saw his effort hit off Walker. It was that mind of game.

Seven minutes before time and Eriksen’s free kick missed everyone in a congested Arsenal area to come back off the post as the Gunners cleared. After 87 minutes and a hesitant Cech came out, stumbled, but recovered in time to clear as Son tried to take advantage.

Arsenal’s aerial threat from Giroud could have won it for the home side, but from an Alexis cross, the France striker connected, but didn’t generate sufficient power in his header as Lloris held.

Another frustrating draw and another two consecutive points dropped by Arsenal at home going into the international break. The Gunners return with a trip to Old Trafford in a lunchtime kick off in a fortnight’s time when they will hope to continue their winning form on the road.