Arsenal 2 Hull City 0
Alexis 34, 90 + pen

Alexis Sanchez scored in either half to give Arsenal the three points in a game which was more about substance than skill over a strong Hull City side at the Emirates stadium. Alexis was first to react in a congested penalty area to bundle the ball over the line with, but was that a hint of hand ball about it? In any case, the Gunners had just been denied a penalty when Theo Walcott’s shot caught a Hull defender’s hand moments before, but deep into time added on, Arsenal were awarded a penalty when Sam Clucas stuck out an arm to deny substitute Lucas Perez goal bound header following a swift counter attack. Clucas was shown a straight red card and Alexis struck powerfully to beat Eldin Jakopovic from the resultant penalty. With the Gunners disappointing recent two Premier League game loss sequence now over, a win, and a clean sheet will help build the momentum now needed until the end of the season.

Kieran Gibbs replaced Nacho Monreal who dropped to the bench where he joined Mohamed Elneny who recently returned from the African Cup of Nations in Gabon.

Arsenal started strong and when Özil intercepted poor cross pass, to feed Iwobi after seven minutes, the German was crowded up from Alex Iwobi’s return as the chance went begging. A minute later and Alexis latched onto Iwobi’s header which took him clear on to Jakupovic’s goal but his chip lacked power and fell straight into the Hull keeper’s arms.

Defending in numbers, the visitors pounced on the counter attack when Lazar Markovic flashed a cross from right which went dangerously along Petr Cech’s area but found now willing Hull player able to apply the final touch.

Cech was then called into action to punch over from the dangerous Oumar Niasse who powered his header on target from Kamil Grosicki’s cross. It showed the visitors intent and with the recent win over Liverpool and 0-0 at Old Trafford behind them, gave credence to Hull’s recent turnaround in form and fortune.

Feeling his way back from the concussion he suffered at Stamford Bridge, Bellerin played a neat one two with Oxlade-Chamberlain, and looked odds on to score, but shot wide when clear. In the middle, Oxlade-Chamberlain seems to be finding the role to his liking. His powerful run set up Alexis via Walcott’s flick but the Chilean struck wide.

Arsenal were in control and should have taken the lead when Alexis crossed to find Ozil. The German arced his body to volley but saw his effort rising high above Jakupovic’s goal.

Özil’s pressure saw the Hull keeper launch a clearance in a dangerous area, and just past the half hour mark, Arsenal will feel that they should have been awarded a penalty when Walcott’s shot struck the hand of Clucas, but no penalty was awarded.

Harry Maguire was fortunate to see Jakupovic hold onto his back header under pressure from Gibbs’cross. On another day, it could easily have been an own goal, but Arsenal continued to ask questions. With their next move Arsenal took the lead. More Gunners pressure and as Hull failed to clear their lines, which saw Ozil’s shot blocked, Alexis pounced to bundle the ball, over the line for the opener.

Arsenal were quick out of the blocks after the break and Oxlade-Chamberlain fired wide. The half was then held up for a few minutes when Francis Coqelin needed treatment on his knee after being caught by Alfred N’Diaye.

The Gunners continued to fire, but almost got caught out forgetting to mind their back door. Gibbs was to Iwobi’s left but the Nigerian’s sent a pass to the other side which Hull recovered. With Laurent Koscielny and Shkodran Mustafi having to reorganise, the ball was feed up to Niasse who controlled before rifling low, but saw Cech make a fine save.

Walcott was aggrieved with Maguire’s strong arm defending and stood up to the stocky defender and then to Tom Huddlestone. Walcott would have expected more red and white shirts to step in sooner, but although that eventually happened, Walcott was shown a yellow card. In the build up moments earlier, Niang was all over Oxlade-Chamberlain but play waived on for an advantage which Arsenal and Walcott felt they did not get.

Just before the hour mark, Gibbs clattered into Markovic and would have feared the worse, but Mark Clattenburg produced the yellow card when it could easily have been red.

Özil and Iwobi exchanged passes, which saw Iwobi curl over the Hull bar as a level of nervousness engulfed the home support who were begging for another Gunners’ goal.

Not having the best of games, Alexis saw his pass intercepted after a fine surge from the deep by Oxlade-Chamberlain. The England man teased his way through the Hull defence and should have taken aim himself.

Niasse headed into the side netting from a corner and substitute Adama Diomande headed over from another corner as the visitors searched for a leveller.

Having soaked up their pressure however, Arsenal hit Hull on the break. Özil found Alexis and his cross fell perfectly for Lucas to head in, until Clucas stuck out an arm to keep the ball out. Penalty said Clatteneberg as Clucas was shown a red card.

Up stepped Alexis for the penalty and struck powerfully past Jakupovic to double his and the Gunners tally for a vital win and a welcomed three points for the home side.