Arsenal 2 Chelsea 1
Rudiger og 12 Xhaka 60, Hazard 7 (2-1 agg)

Arsenal came from behind to beat Chelsea in an exciting Carabao Cup semi-final second leg at the Emirates stadium. Eden Hazard ghosted his way in from Pedro’s assist to beat David Ospina after 7 minutes. The lead would last only five minutes however when Nacho Monreal headed towards goal, the ball then clipping Marcos Alonso and then Antonio Rudiger. Having been overrun for most of first half, the Gunners started to fire efficiently with a return of their passing game. Alexandre Laczette saw his cross reach Granit Xhaka who prodded past Willy Caballero for a 2-1 scoreline. Rejuvenated and in the mood, Arsenal grew as the visitors seemed to tire. Jack Wilshere drove from midified and Alex Iwobi when one on one with Caballero should have finished but the Blues keeper got down well to make the save. With more warrior like Gunners defending, Arsenal held on and will now face Manchester City at Wembley in the final.

Arsene Wenger made one change from the side who took Crystal Palace apart 4-1 last Saturday with David Ospina coming in for Petr Cech. Monreal caught a whack on his leg against Palace but recovered well enough to start here, and the Spain defender had a warrior like robust effect on the game.

Firstly however, Arsenal had to come through a thorough test of their credentials. Pedro had just had a goal disallowed for offside, but the warning signs weren’t heeded. It seemed too easy for the visitors. Chelsea took the lead after the Arsenal defence seemed to switch off. Hazard was allowed too much space and time to collect Pedro’s quick pass and slot his finish beyond Ospina. The Blues pressed and seemed to have a hold on the game. The Gunners just couldn’t string any sequence of passes together or put it the visitors under pressure. From another unlikely source however, Arsenal grabbed a leveller. Nacho Monreal got his head to Xhaka’s corner and the ball hit in off both Alonso and Rudiger.

Goalless after their meeting at Stamford Bridge two weeks ago, a winner had to emerge tonight, and the sceptre of penalties wouldn’t have been welcome from either side.

Under the cosh for much of the half, but with the score still 1-1, almost from nowhere, Özil had a chance in first half time added on, but saw his effort go wide after Caballero’s interception. A quick change of defence with the flexibility of switching from four to a three and Arsenal went at Chelsea.

Both sides were guilty of misplacing passes, but with Hazard at the helm, the Blues were always dangerous. One particular piece of defending to clear and also in taking a yellow card by Monreal for his attentions on the Belgian summed up the good work from the Gunners defender.

Alexandre Lacazette was willing all night and it was his perseverance to hold off Andreas Christensen which saw the Gunners take the lead. The cross came off ththe Chelsea defender and with an instinctive prod, Xhaka had put Arsenal in the lead for the first time in the tie.

Chelsea kept coming but without really testing further. Alex Iwobi seems to be getting his game back on track, but he should have finished past Caballero when one on one, but saw the keeper save his effort.

With time running out, the sense of victory was palpable as Chelsea ran out of steam and Arsenal ran out winners for their first League Cup final since 2007. This time they will hope to go one better.